Pickering Fire Chief Urges Residents to Exercise Caution in the Kitchen
Pickering, ON, October 3, 2013 – The theme of this year’s Fire Prevention Week is ‘Prevent Kitchen Fires’, and Pickering’s Fire Chief has a stern warning for all residents – never leave cooking unattended!
Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home fires and injuries in the province. “Often when we’re called to a fire that started in the kitchen, the residents tell us that they only left the kitchen for a few minutes,” said Bill Douglas, Fire Chief. “Sadly, that’s all it takes for a dangerous fire to start. Help keep Pickering safe by preventing fires from starting in the first place.”
Important steps to prevent kitchen fires include:
- Paying attention when cooking – especially if using oil or high temperatures. If you must leave for any reason, turn off the stove.
- Wear tight-fitting or rolled up sleeves when using the stove as loose, dangling clothing can easily catch fire.
- Keep a proper fitting lid near the stove. If a pot catches fire, slide the lid over the pot and turn off the stove.
- Never attempt to move a burning pot.
- Keep a close eye on anyone in your household who is drinking and attempts to cook.
This year, Fire Prevention Week runs from October 6 – 12, and the Pickering Fire Services will be holding a number of events throughout to raise public awareness on fire prevention, particularly unattended kitchen fires. These events will include:
- September 30 – October 6 – Fire Chief for a Day contest open, Pickering Fire Stations and McDonald’s locations
- October 5 – Doors Open Pickering – Fire Station 4 (Claremont) Open House, 10:00am – 4:00pm
- October 6 – Fire Safety Day and Charity BBQ for Camp Bucko – Pickering Recreation Complex,10:00am – 2:00pm
- October 7 – Fire Chief for a day draw, and announcement
- October 9 – Fire Chief for a Day Event, Various Locations
- October 10 – Your City Comes to You, Pickering Town Centre, 10:00am – 9:00pm
- October 19 – Your City Welcome Home, City Hall, 12:00pm – 3:00pm
- October 20 – Home Depot Fire Safety Day, Pickering Home Depot, 10:00am – 12:00pm